Blogger, also known as Blogspot, is a blog publishing service platform owned by Google where users can create a blog for free. It was created for the people who can make a blog without writing a single line of code.
Exploring the Homepage of Blogger
If you are not a part of Blogger, you just need to sign up with a Google account for free. You can click on CREATE YOUR BLOG or SIGN IN. Both will do the same thing: creating a free blog.
Exploring Bloggers Posts
It is the most important section of Blogger because here you can create a new post, modify and delete.
New Post: When you click it, a new window opens where you can write content as you write in Microsoft Word. (More on that later!)
Publish: The publish option is to publish the post that is in the draft. You can select one post or multiple posts to publish all.
Revert to Draft: It is an important feature where you can revert back a published post to draft to edit. When you bring it the draft, you have the following options:
- You can change the permalink of the post
- The post will show now 404 error
All Labels: It will show you the posts that have specific labels. On Blogger, the label is equivalent to tags or category.
Search: Sometimes you want to edit a specific post, but you don’t know its full title. You can search for any post.
100: It indicates how many posts it should show. If you have a good laptop, you can select 100. Otherwise, your browser will freeze.
Dustbin: You can delete any post.
Label Icon: In the below image, the yellow color arrow is showing a label icon. You can give a label to any number of posts.
For example, you have written a lot of iPhone articles, and you are giving only smartphone tags. You can select all the posts related to the iPhone and give them a tag iPhone instantly instead of placing tag to every post one by one.
Exploring New Post
OMG! So many numbers to remember 🙁
Don’t worry! It’s gonna be easy!
- Compose: Here is the visual format of your article. Here you see no coding. In simple words, it shows the Microsoft Word visual to you for easy cotnent writing, and for the people who don’t have any experience in coding.
- HTML: It is opposite to the compose, but here you see the coding format for your content that you write in Compose. It is helpful for the people who know HTML, CSS and JS. If Compose is MS Word, HTML is Sumblime that is a code editor.
↩↪: It’s the Undo and Redo. If you have made a horribnle mistake, even a simple, you can press it. Or you can simply press Ctrl+Z to undo.
- Font: Blogger provides many free fonts that you can use in your writing to make it appealing to the audience.
- Size: It’s the size of the text you want to implement. You can set it smaller or bigger.
- Normal: Here you have options for Heading, Subheading, Minior Heading and Normal. Acutually, they are coreponisde to <H1>, <H2>, <H3> and <p>.
- Bold, Italics, Underline: B is used to make the letter bold, I is used to make the word italics. U is used to underline. It is simple, isnt?
- Text Colour and Background Colour: If you want to change the colour of the text, you can change from red to black to yellow. Also you can change the background colour.
- Link, Picture, Video, Emoji and Jump Break: Link is used to insert a website URL for the rederence purpose or link to any of the online material. If you want to insert any picture, you can select on the 📷 and select any image. Click 🎬 to insert a video. You can insert any emoji when you click 😂. Jump breaks are helpful when you want to show the small piece of your content. When you insert it anywhere, all the things above the jump break isn’t shown to the people in their emails, feed burner, and on the homepage.
- Position, Bullets, Numbers, Quatations, Remove Format: When you bring your text to the right and you can add bullets or numbers to the post as I have done here. Quation is a unique feature, and you can show your important line in the quation form that will be highlighted. It also depends on the Blogger templete. Not all templetes show the same way. Remove Format is a great feature when you copy paste something from the internet, and you get a lot of extra things. It removes all the CSS and JS, it retains only the values in HTML.
- Spell Checker and Language Change: Here you can check the spelling checker of your article. It will highlight the mistakes, and you can easily fix it. Also you can change the langgae so that you can directly write easily on Blogger Dashboard.
- Right to Left And Vice Versa: Here you can change the direction of your langage. Some start from right to left, and some left to right.
- Labels: Labels work exactly like the same way WordPress category section does. Each label will have its own unique URL that you can use in your navigation to read the articles that belong to the specific label/category.
- Shedule: You can write 10 articles in one day, and can shedule one article per week at a specific time.
- Permalink: It is extremely useful for SEO because you have to write a URL that is descritive in nature, and shorter too. It shouldn’t cross more than 590px including with HTTPS protocol. You can either write manaully or automally can be extracted from the title. Manaul is always better. Keep it short.
- Location: It is not important, but if you want to tell your users from where did you write the article, it is helpful. Many travel bloggers use it to tell the audience.
- Options: You can disbale or enablbe the comment section for the specific post. You can select your Compose Mode as well as break. It is advanced, you can understand only if you know the basic of HTML.
Bonus: You can click on Preview to see your article before making it public to your audience. You can change the POSTING AS YOUR NAME by signign with different Google Account we will talk later in Setting.
I have a Blogger blog, and here is its Stats. Here are the following sections:
- Traffic Graph: Here you see the graphical format of your traffic with the passage of time.
- Pageviews: Here you see how many pageviews you got today, yesterday, last months and all time history. You can oberve your success just by looking at the figure. But make sure pageviews are not unique visiters. One visiter cna open several pages at once, and it can generate many pageviews.
- Posts: Here you can see your top posts, and it gives you a good hint which topics people are liking the most on your blog.
- Traffic Sources: You can see from which plateform you are getting the most traffic. Here you can see many most traffic come from Google instead of social media.
- Audience: It shows from which country your blog is being visited.
Hint: You can click MORE>> to see more data about each section.
Comments and Earnings:
In the comment section, all the comments that people will write appear in this section. But if you are using third party comment system like Disqus, then it doesn’t show here.
Earning section is for earning money from Google Adsense if your blog qualifies. Also you can apply directly for Google Adsense here.
You can easily create pages on Blogger. On my blog, these are the pages that I created. Important pages that every website needs are:
- Contact Us
- About Us
- Terms and Condition
Here you can alter the following things:
- Favicon: Favicon is the icon that shows in the tab. Change the favicon that displays on the tab of the user. For example, Medium.com has an M favicon.
- Header: Header is the top section of the blog that have navigation like Home, Contact Us. Every Blogger templete has different features. You can customize the header to place your logo at the header.
For example, you want to change the main menu on your blog, just click edit and write whatever you want to show your visiters when they click on Main Menu.
Now it shows like this
And you can drag and drop some part of the layout.
Blogger Theme Section
Here you can customze the theme like:
- Chaning font size
- Chaning font family
- Changing background
- Changing the colour of the text
When you click on Customzation, you can change the following part of your templete. It depends on the templete you are using. Some have great options, and some have a few.
When you click on HTML, you can change almost anything provided you have knowlege of HTML, XHTML, CSS and JS.
Blogger has the following options in the Settings section:
- Title: It’s the part that is shown in the Google result when someone writes your blog name.
- Description: It’s also known as Meta Description in SEO. Here you can write that will be dispislyaed below the title. It must provide what your site is about.
- Privacy: It has two options either to add your blog to our listing or let search engines find your blog.
If you select the first option that shows your blog will be displayed when someone clicks next. And the second option is your choice. If you want to show your blog in Google results or other search engines, you must select it Yes!
It’s the best feature of Blogger because other services charge money for attaching a custom domain to Blogger, but Blogger provides it for free. I wrote a detailed post how you can connect a custom domain of Namecheap to Blogger easily.
It’s the new featuere of Blogger where free SSL is provided to your blog. It is based on Let’s Encrpt that provides free SSL. Google and other organization provide fund to the non-profit organization-Let’s Encrpt- to make the internet safe.
Above you can see I am not using it, but my site has SSL because I am using Cloudflare free SSL. If you are not using Cloudflare you must enable:
- HTTPS Availability
- HTTPS Redirect
This feature works exactly the same way as WordPress Users section does.
- Blog Authors: Add a person to be the Admin of your site or just an Author. If you make him an admin, he can do anything to your blog. But if you provide only author access, he can write the content, but can’t delete anythign or add to your blog.
- Blog Readers: You can make your blog public, it means anyone can accsss your blog. If you make it Private, then only the authors of your blog will be able to read your blog. Other regular visiters will not able to read your blog. Also you can add the readers with their e-mails so to read your blog.
Posts, Comments and Sharing
In the Posts section, you can
- Show at Most: It is up to you how many posts do you want to show on the homepage to your audience.
- Post Template: It is helpful feature if you write with the same style. You will not need to write each time.